{Slash Speaks} The DMV Movement

The DMV Movement

 Sup yahl... welcome to the first installment of "Slash' Corner".  For those of you that don't know me, I am a producer/songwriter/businessman/consultant/jack-of-all-trades, Howard Bison, Native Washingtonian (a rarity these days), and one of the original Hip Hop'ers in the DC area.  Some of my aliases are "Harvey Wallbanger", "Slashwaterboy", and Marcus G, which is my retired MC name.  I figured it only right to make my first column about the DMV movement.  Its a movement that is near and dear to me... yet one that I find my self distancing myself.  I had a very interesting conversation with an area engineer whom has mixed some of the top tier artist nationally and in this area... and we were discussing the state of MUSIC in this area... and what it needed and doesn't need.... and of course... opinions are like assholes and we all have em... but... for the sake of this column.. I'll voice my opinions.. and you can reply to me via twitter, email, or other forms of communication that the world wide net affords us.  But anyway..  we were talking about the lack of bridge between the elder statesmen and the new school.  It was interesting to me how the DMV movement mirrors African American society over the last few decades...  My generation pretty much grew up in single parent homes... mostly mothers, with no real reach back from the men in the neighborhood... sure you had a little more reach back then the generation after me... but ultimately ... most of the young men were left to venture out into manhood alone.... or learning as they go with the "homies"....   Its not TOO different in the DMV music movement.
Lets go back to 1988... when DC was the murder capitol, and most of the known rappers like Fat Trel and Wale, were either dreams in they daddies' nutsac or JUST born ( dunno they ages honestly).... well.. GO GO was our music (and definitely a STRONG part of the foundation that HIPHOP on which built its house).. But that Rap thang that was somehow making its way down here to the DC area ( which a RACKA GoGo bands were stealin the songs as their own).  Many Washingtonians (this is PRE DMV... a term Created by 20 Bello in the mid 2000's.. I KNOW .. I was there) were resistant to GoGo ...  hell.. Washingtonians were resistant to ANYTHING NEW YORK honestly....  but some of us felt something... we knew that while we had our own music... this RAP thing.. seemed to speak to the new generation.. and PROBABLY wasn't going anywhere.  And what did we do?  We jumped on it!  Typically with ridicule in tow....  that ridicule would continue through the 90's.  While slightly more acceptable in the 90's.. as Rap had slowly started to become big business and seen as a "way out" ... I contend that most of the EARLY guys doing HipHop here - the 2 Face the Dons, the Section 8 Mobs, the Stinky Dinks, Tony Blunts, Nitti & Gottis, Circle Boys, Maximum Xposure, etc  - were all doing it outta love... and there was a bit of community that was associated with the DMV scenes.  It was quite divided back then as well... the streets cats aint fuck wit the artsy fartsy cats...  rarely would you see the streets cats at the U street open mics.. and u damn sure aint see the artsy cats at the hood open mics... ( a welcome change that i think shows the growth of our movement) ....  It simply just wasn't cool to be rappin from DC...
But shyt done changed!  And while the scene has grown... and the eye is ON THE DMV now..... there is still a gap.  There are some examples of the gaps closing..  but ultimately ...  it has more closing to do...  There needs to be a respect for the ground that the new ave of DMV artist are making... and those same artist would be served well to research those that came before them... that sold CDs on the streets.. OR in stores... The doors didn't just magically open for yah....  there were people knocking wayyyyyy before yah...  and its because of that early knocking.. that we have the WALES and the TABIS and the FATTRELS...  I also encourage the elder folks to EMBRACE the youngsters and the sound that they bring...  its not yours... but think about how YOU felt when peope were rejecting and ignoring YOUR sound....    Go to these guys with the mistakes YOU made.. so they don't make em...  and NEW SCHOOLERS...  don't be afraid to listen.. It cant hurt to lean on someone who walked the road and made mistakes.. so you wont...
In ATL, HOUSTON, and in MIA... hell even in NY....  there is a sense of community.. and we have that here...  but with the eye on us...  let's STRENGTHEN it..  Lets BUILD TOGETHER.   A wave flowing in one direction is HARD to stop....
welp....  that's all for me for now...   feel free to email me at slashwaterboy@gmail.com for comments, topic recommendations, to curse me out, or to send me nude photos (ladies only)LOL
Signing out.... 
Slash's Corner